Thursday, November 24, 2005

Today is the beginning of the end.

The beginning of the "holiday season"; those six wretched weeks of torture. The holidays are utter crap if you're unemployed and prone to fits of guilt when people get you things.

Re: Above.
See: Me.

I hate Thanksgiving. We don't give thanks for anything. It's just an excuse for my family to get together, eat a boring meal, and talk about nonsensical crap that no one cares about. The meal hasn't changed one iota since my great-grandfather died. Every year we have two turkey breasts (my great-grandpa and I were the only ones in the family that liked dark meat, so since he died, I have to try and choke down dry white meat turkey), canned green-bean casserole, over-onioned baked beans that only two people eat, canned cranberry sauce (yeah, you know, the Jello-y stuff, unless my aunt is feeling compelled to cook a couple cranberries, but the way things are going, I don't think I'll be that lucky this year), mashed potatoes (cold), baked stuffing (usually dry), and a sad veggie tray. Desert is always the same thing as well: Your choice of pie from Marie Calendars; pumpkin, chocolate, or coconut cream. That's it, end of story.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my family... they're just so. fucking. lazy. and terrified to try new things. I'm thinking of taking over Thanksgiving dinner next year. This madness has got to end.

As for Christmas, well... I could buy Christmas gifts for people, but why? I don't know what people want, and to be honest, if no one got me anything, I wouldn't cry about it. I hate gifts. I just do. The idea of giving and receiving gifts because it's expected just sits badly with me; it always has. Every year, I beg my parents not to get me anything, but they always insist. "It makes us happy." Well, happy to oblige, you sadists. Gifts should be given when a person feels the desire, not the obligation.

I just really dislike the holidays. I'm terribly jealous of the people who love the holiday season. I want to wear stupid Christmas sweater and drink eggnog and be flushed and sing carols too, damnit. Instead, I get this -->

Scroogey McScroogerton.

Meh. Happy Holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home